Thursday, January 5, 2012

True Identity

Humanity is caught in a perpetual state of self-discovery. Who am I? What is my purpose? From the Bible, theologians extract the doctrine "Original Sin". This is the notion that we are all born into sin. Impure at conception.  Given this understanding, at birth we inherit a "false self". An illusion of our created purpose. A hedonistic egotistical self blinds us from our true identity. This considered, what then is our "true identity"? The bible is very specific to this question. Paul writes, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20) Christ is the immaculate propitiation to the sinful and impure self we inhabit. It is He that enables us to step into our true identity, as heirs,  sons and daughters to the Almighty Creator.We must lose our inherent false selves and cling to the this truth! It is then we begin to discover the authentic self our Designer intended. As for purpose? Walk humbly. Do Justice. Love Mercy. (Micah 6:8) Be JESUS. In Him is where we discover our conclusive satisfaction. This brings Him great glory! As John Piper states, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him". This is our identity and purpose, His glory. I revel in awe of this candid truth. I pray this be encouragement as it has been to myself. Let us go forth embracing our true Identity, Christ.

"But whatever is in God is really identical with Him, for His infinite simplicity admits no division and no distinction. Therefore I cannot hope to find myself anywhere except in Him." (Merton 35)

A reflection of Thomas Merton's New Seeds of Contemplation

1 comment:

  1. Wow. These words are so true, and very encouraging. I pray you are greatly blessed.

    ReplyDelete